Monday, May 7, 2012

April 27, 2012

Last night I slept great. I was worried, camped close to so many other campers, but the sleep was good. It’s nice and cool on the South Rim, making for good sleep.

Woke up to the sound of ravens patrolling the campground. They make a variety of calls, all of which I am assuming are codes for finding different types of food left out by campers. We did not leave food out, yet I still woke to a raven looking at me, not 6 feet away. I immediately took my flip flop and gently tossed it at the bird. These birds are not used to this action from humans, and he took off right away. In fact many people don’t see them as a problem, but instead see them as part of the Grand Canyon. These birds have outsmarted many! I saw them enjoying many campers’ leftovers...

I enjoyed eating too. I ate a lot today. It feels great. Drinking a ton of water, that helps. This has also produced good bodily functions, showing me that I should be ok taking off tomorrow.

Me and D=rt decided to check out the visitor center. It’s a real zoo here. This is seriously the most overwhelmed I have been by people since the last family reunion! It is neat to see people from around the world, experiencing the great USA. Most will spend less than 4 hours here, the ranger at the visitor center told us, and we are often reminded that we are on the trip of a lifetime. This has been one of the greatest trips of my life, but so was the AT, PCT, CDT, SHR (
Sierra High Route
), and so will be the PCT this summer. I do feel extremely lucky to do this trip, and every other one. Life is good.

I resupplied at the General Store here, it’s a great resupply. There are a lot of natural and organic foods, good produce, and great juices. A bit expensive, but it can be expected.
I also enjoyed talking with Lauren today on the phone. Really hard to be apart so long, but glad I have her support. Twelve more days, she reminded me. I am excited, but also not ready for this to end. It’s always exciting to start another chapter of life, and this one will forever be a part of mine.

We will take off tomorrow down the Bright Angel Trail, then heading up the North Kaibob Trail. A 22-mile day across the Grand Canyon. I have always wanted to do rim-to-rim, so this is exciting! Our friend TC will be doing a rim-to-rim-to-rim tomorrow. We are hoping to see him somewhere along his 42-mile journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment