Saturday, May 12, 2012

May 4, 2012

The moon was so bright last night. On top of that, the birds were singing all night as well. It was very peaceful and relaxing, and sleep was good. I was up with the sun, and woke D=rt up. Very excited to get to town. I was nearly out of food, and really hoping to get lodging to soak my feet.
  We made really good time to the road to Colorado City. Dirt roads are so easy to hike, though not super scenic. At the highway we decided to hitch in to town. It was 6 miles of asphalt. We received a ride quickly from a few friendly Mormons. They took us right to the grocery store.
  We resupplied, and started to ask about lodging. It sounds like the only places nearby, are 15 miles away. Too far off the trail for us. We have about 50 miles of hiking left, we will live without soaking feet.
  This town has gotten a bad rep with some other hikers. It is known for polygamy and fundamental LDS. But we have experienced very friendly people everywhere. The post master even invited us to stay at her house tonight. We refused though, I think we both are ready to get out of town... once this siesta is over.
  The people in town do look at us a bit differently, but we are smelly hikers coming into their town, its pretty normal for us to get stares. I am just happy to have gotten some town food and a good resupply.
  It is a beautiful day, and almost 4 pm. We are hanging out in the city park. Green grass and shade. My belly is full and I have water. Life is good. I am happy to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment