Thursday, June 21, 2012

6/15/12

 Today we began hiking. It felt so good, cept for the heavy pack! I had 8 days of food, and 4 beers from Denver. It still does not feel as bad as leaving Hite Marina on the Hayduke Trail with 10 liters of water and 10 days of food! Good times.
  Hiking with Lauren is much diferent than hiking by myself. I was mentally prepared for this too. We both have different hiking styles, and different paces. I think it will work, but for now it is honestly difficult for us to find a pace that works for both of us. This is a tough stretch though too. We are carrying a lot of food and working our way into the high Sierras. I feel it today, but I know Lauren feels it more. Her foot is bothering her today, says her arch feels like its falling. This is likely the most weight she has carried! We are going to redistribute the weight tomorrow, I will take her food and bear canister, she will take the tent. We are in this together, and she will help me out some way along this crazy adventure as well.
   The trail brings back memories of 2006. Missing the folks I hiked with. Also excited to meet new folks. Today we met T-Rex, Sunshine, Jeff, Gut Feeling, and Young Geezer. All great people to spend time with. It makes me feel at home, hikers are truly the best. I once again feel so lucky to be able to do what I am doing. Hard to imagine another 3 months with no work or school, but I am stoked for it.
  The South Fork of the Kern River was the highlight of my day. It feels like the gateway to the Sierras. Its in a meadow, high mountains in the background, and the swallows fly around like jets on a bright blue sky. We spent time here watching the birds, meeting new hikers, and washing off in the river. Hard to beat.
  We made 13 miles today, big climb tomorrow sending us up over 10,000 feet. I cant wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment