Thursday, June 21, 2012

6/17/12

Today we hippied it up. We walked 14 miles to a lake and while Lauren swam, I did some stretching (yoga). This lake has some cold water in it. This didnt stop Lauren from swimming to the middle and back, I will tip my hat to that.
  I didnt sleep super well last night. Drank a lot of water before bed, so was forced up a couple times. Sometimes its so hard to get up though. So comfy wrapped up in my down bag. Its also strange to me to be camped near a large group of folks, and several were gone before daybreak. We followed shortly, leaving just after 7 AM.
   The Sierras slowly showed their true colors today. The colors are mostly grey! No snow, except in tiny patches high in the mountains. The meadows are really green still, but I suspect that even the greenest of meadows will die this year as well. It makes me wonder about a few things. Will the bears be more actively searching for food? Will there be fires on the trail further north? And most importantly, will there still be berries up north? These questions and more ran through my head today along the dusty trail, only time will answer them.
   Lauren's feet were a big part of our discussion today. Her feet have bothered her everyday so far, but mostly after yesterday's 18 mile day. I wish we could have trained for this more, hard to get big mileage days in winter, but we should have tried. We debated for awhile if we should go into Lone Pine today so Lauren could find new shoes and rest up her feet, but we opted not to. Instead we will try to hike slower and skip hiking Whitney in a few days. I have done Whitney before, and Lauren says shes ok skiippin it. So we will. I just really hope her feet can handle the beating that our feet are in for. The numbers are freightening. 2000 miles in just over 100 days. But anything can happen. Tonight we will enjoy Chicken Spring Lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment