Sunday, August 26, 2012

8/23/12

     Today was amazing. We walked alone all day, which meant we went at our own paces and had completely different experiences.
   Mt Hood came into full view today as we walked close to it. It was beautiful. Wildflowers blooming everywhere, glaciers high on the mountain, and even skiers and snowboarders enjoying the year round skiing offered at  Timberline. I was motivated all day by the all you can eat buffet at Timberline Lodge. I arrived at Timberline at noon and went right for the buffet. It was everything I could hope for, plus some. I ate my fill of steak, beef brisket, ham, watermelon, danishes, cookies, salads, and soup. Lauren joined me, after looking around for me outside for awhile. We both agreed that it was some of the best food on the trail so far. I could barely walk when we left after spending two full hours there.
    I was really hoping to get a room at Timberline. It seems like a really cool place. But it was completely full by the time we got there. Another hiker, Memphis, showed us a secret shower in the sauna room. It made our day, and we got clean!
   We decided to hike out separately. Lauren had her tent sent to Timberline so we could hike solo for a couple days. I left the lodge at 330 and walked another 10 miles. Did 25 miles today with a three hour lunch break. Not too shabby. My goal is to hike another 37 tomorrow into Cascade Locks, hopefully by 6 or 7 pm.
    It is painful being away from Lauren. We have been nearly glued together the last 2 months. But this will be good for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment