Sunday, August 26, 2012

8/24/12

   I always get worked up when I plan big days. I think I can do it, but not completely sure. My feet were sore, but I was not willing to give up my chance to try to break 40 miles for my first time. So I woke up at 430 AM and started walking by 5. It was really hard to get outside of the tent because it was so cold! But I also felt great. I slept great the night before and was ready to walk northwardly.
   It was good to be out in the cold for the first time, before the sun was even up. Hiking by headlamp can be a little bit confusing though. The trail was very confusing too. It did not match up with my map. For over an hour, I thought I was walking the wrong direction. There was no PCT markers and the trail I was on, was definitely not shown as the PCT on the map. But I didn't see the PCT turn off anywhere, so I continued onward.
   Eventually the sun came up and announced that it was going to be a beautiful day. A PCT junction also showed up, and I was making great miles. I danced along down the trail, enjoying the freedom to go at my own pace. I made great time all day.
    I had made 24 miles before noon. The Eagle Creek Trail was amazing. I could not ask for a better way to spend a 40 mile day. Wildflowers, views of Mt. Adams, Rainier, and others. Then the Eagle Creek Trail with water feature after water feature. The trail actually goes right under a waterfall. I even went for a swim in one of the hundreds of amazing swimming holes. I had 2 personal waterfalls to myself.
   I made it to the trailhead at about 4 PM. I texted Lauren's parents when I had a signal. Didn't expect them to be in the area until tomorrow. But they were in Hood River, about 20 miles away! I walked the last 2 miles into town to confirm my 41 mile day and met her parents at the Pacific Crest Brew Pub! After a couple of beers and a couple of dinners I am exhausted. Though I honestly think I could walk more if I needed/wanted to. 50 miles will happen someday, but not today. Not tomorrow or any other time soon either! Great day! We are camped at the KOA and the train is about 100 feet from where we are sleeping. ! Could be an interesting night, but I am very thankful to have Lauren's parents here supporting us and treating us for a couple days.

No comments:

Post a Comment