Saturday, April 14, 2012

April 9, 2012

I am exhausted. We worked really hard today. Only made it 16 miles too. Not that 16 miles is nothing, but we worked really hard for those 16 today. I woke up to the squawk of a raptor, 2 falcons. They had a nest about 15 feet up in a tree above my tent. It was neat to see them so close, but they did not seem happy that I was there. Also spotted another downy woodpecker.
  We left our aspen grove and beautiful flowing spring, and headed out into some desolate country. The guidebook states that this is one of the last large roadless areas in the lower 48. I believe it. We dropped off the plateau at an elevation of 7300 feet and headed down Monday Canyon. It was a slog down the canyon, it was often times choked with boulders and thick with tamarisk. Many times we just had to weave in and out, on top, or around boulders. Wasn’t bad early on, but as the day progressed, it got much tougher. I left camp this morning with ten liters of water, which equals 20 pounds! The day also got hot. Probably just the 80s, but we are not used to those temps yet!
  I can complain all I want, but it still wasn’t bad. This evening we camped a few miles up Navajo Canyon. The sunset was beautiful. There are at least 5 bats flying around the area, watching them is mesmerizing. We spotted some old adobe shelters in the cliffs, very cool. Also spotted a few game birds. Not sure if they were grouse, but they would have been a good addition to my dinner.
  We have another 12 miles to water. Planning on starting early as we both only have 2 liters left. A cool breeze is blowing through the canyon. The sky is clear. I once again can not wait to see the stars tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment