Friday, April 6, 2012

March 29, 2012

KABOOM! Just as I had finally turned off my headlamp for the night, I heard a large crash. We were sleeping in a drainage and my first thought was flash flood. There was clear skies when we went to sleep though, and did  not feel like there was a threat of floods. We assumed it was just a rock that was loosened by the temperature change of the evening. It left me nervous, but exhaustion took over, I was asleep quickly.
   Woke up to clear skies and we were hiking early. Both of us, nearly out of food. Made good time out of Young’s Canyon, where we found a group of NOLS. The first question they asked was if we saw the meteor last night. Apparently the loud crash was a meteor hitting earth. Crazy! We hiked down Dark Canyon, which was beautiful, all the way to an extremely steep climb out of the canyon. Still, anytime I get annoyed, I take a look around. It is so beautiful.
   The last 12 miles of the route to Hite were on roads, all dirt roads. Zach came in with a rental car, unexpectedly. He gave us watermelon, gatorade, and a bunch of other food. His knee is still bummed, so he is driving to Missoula tonight.
   We made it to Hite, camped right by visitor center, got our packages, 10 day stretch here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment