Friday, April 6, 2012

March 30, 2012

Saw amazing shooting stars last night, like most nights on this trip. I woke up with the sun and started trying to pack my backpack. 10 days of food and 9 liters of water. With gear, it amounted to over 60 pounds, i am guessing. That made today tough.
   We agreed to take it easy and get a later start today, still got going by 9. It was a perfect town stop. Zach gave us amazing trail magic. the lady running the concession stand could not sell us anything because the store was not open yet, but was happy to get our packages for us. I had sent over  35 pounds of food to Hite, including 3 V8 drinks and a Lewis and Clark beer, heavenly. It truly is the little things. I was also able to call Lauren and family from a payphone, really glad they had one there! Thank you Lauren and family for supporting my crazy dreams of hiking.
  Found a tiny scorpion under my groundsheet this morning. Apparently he was the kind that just leaves a sting like a bee, no major threat!
   We hiked the road out of Hite and soon got on to a dirt road, which lead us to cross country. There was a sweet climb up to a rim that took us awhile. Both of us were really glad our moms cant see this kind of stuff. The climb involved me climbing to a point, d=rt pushing the packs while I pulled, then us repeating. I wonder how long it took the founders of the trail to find that route, its amazing.
   We then began getting lost. On a place called Red Benches. It’s beautiful, but difficult to navigate. We walked the wrong way more than a couple times. We finally decided to camp. It is so beautiful today, and every day out here. Even with some frustrations, I am very happy to be here and consider myself lucky to be able to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment