Friday, April 6, 2012

March 26, 2012

Today had its challenges, I am exhausted. Woke up a few times to wind blowing from every direction. Clouds forming overhead. I assumed this meant we may actually see some rain. It did finally rain, I think I felt 15 drops, not bad.
   The wind blew all day though, a stiff headwind. You wouldn’t think it would make hiking harder, but it does!
  The big letdown today was when Zach said his knee would probably disable him from hiking on. We were all bummed, but hopeful that his knee will get better and he can rejoin the trip at Hite Marina on Friday. Lucky for him there was an easy hike out, as we are in Canyonlands National Park. Zach gave me and d=rt most of his food, which we consumed in about 15 minutes while saying goodbyes.
   The route got easy for awhile after Zach left, we were on trail for the first time since we started the Hayduke last week. Canyonlands is beautiful, very remote feeling.
   We left the trails around 5 pm, headed cross country. It was flat, we were taking a canyon off to the left. The flat walking went on a long time though, we passed a canyon, but thought it was too soon. So we continued, through the sandbox, every step  losing six inches. Finally went up a canyon, but didn’t think it was right, the GPS showed us off the map. 2 miles in the wrong direction!
   I was annoyed at first. But what can you do? I looked around while back tracking through the sandbox, it was beautiful. Plus, I picked up some coyote scat for the ASC project. How lucky am I? Pretty darn.
   We are camped at the mouth of a canyon and the stars are amazing. No tent, just the sleeping bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment